The following is a 6-week program designed specifically to help athletes lose fat through training. For the best results we recommend you pair this training plan with a disciplined diet. This does not mean you have to be overly restrictive, just smart and committed.
As a general rule of thumb, fat-loss is approximately 80% diet and 20% exercise. This training plan covers 6-weeks of fat-loss exercise progressions and can be repeated or used as preparation for more intense training programs. However, since a good portion of the overall success of any fat-loss plan is diet this plan will also provide you with tips and resources to assist with your diet.
Overall, the training for this program has a sharp focus on aerobic conditioning, work capacity circuits, and total-body muscular endurance.
Training is designed in a Monday – Saturday format (6 days on, 1 day off). Each week you will have five prescribed training sessions (three strength based, one interval based run and one endurance run). You also have four 30-minute jog or walk sessions in the evenings. That makes nine total training sessions per week. Don’t be overwhelmed by the schedule – take the training sessions one at a time. Most sessions take between 40-50 minutes and can be combined with the 30-minute jog or walk sessions if that works best for your schedule.
This program gets progressively harder each week. Follow the program as close as possible. However, if you are unable to follow this format, that is fine. Simply do the workouts on the available days of the week without skipping workouts.
- Mondays AM: Assessments or Work Capacity, Core Training
- Mondays PM: 30 minute Jog or Walk at Easy Pace
- Tuesdays AM: Work Capacity, Shuttle Runs, Core Training
- Tuesdays PM: 30 minute Jog or Walk at Easy Pace
- Wednesdays AM: Running Intervals (800m Repeats)
- Wednesdays PM: Off
- Thursdays AM: Off
- Thursdays PM: 30 minute Jog or Walk at Easy Pace
- Fridays AM: Work Capacity, Core Training
- Fridays PM: 30 minute Jog or Walk at Easy Pace
- Saturdays AM: Endurance Run
- Saturdays PM: Off
How long should the training sessions take?
Each session should take around 30-60 minutes. Unless indicated, the circuits aren’t “for time.” Work briskly, not frantically, through the sessions.
What equipment do I need for this plan?
- Timepiece or stopwatch
- 2x Dumbbells of either 15# or 25#
- Foam Roller
- 17-20” Step
- Course or track of known distances (40ft, 800m and 1.5 miles)