By Rob Shaul
The 5 training plans contained within this packet details 35 weeks of cutting edge, day-to-day training for Law Enforcement Athletes.
Each plan deploys our most recent iteration of “Fluid Periodization” and training the following fitness attributes essential to LE mission performance:
- High Relative Strength – Strength per bodyweight, especially total and lower body relative strength. In most tactical situations, LE athletes need to move themselves quickly and powerfully. By building high relative strength, we aim to get them strong as possible, without adding unneeded mass, while still keeping them fast, quick and powerful. As well, strength is the key to durability. Stronger athletes are harder to injure in the first place, don’t get injured as bad if something does happen, and recover faster if they do get injured.
- Upper Body Hypertrophy – LE athletes, especially patrol, can benefit from upper-body mass. A stout upper body can help intimidate would-be bad guys from assault or attack.
- Work Capacity – Horsepower and aerobic power to go super hard for relatively short periods – especially pertinent in any tactical situation. Law enforcement Work Capacity programming should have a strong emphasis on sprinting ability and recovery – as this is the mostly mode of effort when things are dangerous.
- Chassis Integrity – Functional, transferable core/midsection strength and strength endurance for mission performance and overall durability.
- Tactical Agility – Tactical Speed, Explosive Power, and Agility.
- Short Endurance – 1-4 mile running endurance for general fitness and extended operations.
The five plans, in the order we recommend you complete them are listed below.
- Each Plan is 7 weeks long, 5 days/week. Week 7 in each plan is an unload/taper week so the plans can be run back to back.
- Each plan has a “balanced” training approach, where strength, work capacity, endurance, upper body hypertrophy, and chassis integrity are trained concurrently.
- Training sessions are short and crisp – designed to last 45-50 minutes
- Sessions designed to be completed in any functional fitness gym which includes barbells, bumper plates, kettlebells/dumbbells, plyo boxes, sandbags (40, 60, 80#) and a short sprinting area (inside or outside) – 25m.
- Broader descriptions of the individual training plans are below.
The price for this packet of plans, $170, represents a 30% savings over the combined price of the individual plans.
This is Version 3 of this Packet, Updated in the Fall of 2019.
Sessions are designed to be completed in any functional fitness gym which includes barbells, bumper plates, kettlebells/dumbbells, plyo boxes, sandbags (40, 60, 80#) and a short sprinting area (inside or outside) – 25m.
What if I miss a day?
Begin where you left off when you return to training. This program is progressed – each session builds upon the prior session – so don’t skip a session or skip around. Follow the training sessions in order, regardless.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE. The Run/Ruck Calculator is listed as an exercise.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
Yes – click on each individual training plan above, then click the “Sample Training” tab at the plan product page to see sample training.
How do I access the plan?
You can access the plan via username and password either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time
We’ve also developed an LE Athlete Fitness Assessment. Read more HERE.