Demanding, 6-week training program specifically designed to prepare athletes for the GORUCK Heavy. This program designed to be completed directly before your GORUCK Heavy. You’ll start training the Saturday exactly 6-weeks before the Saturday of your event.
The program also includes specific training for the Goruck Heavy Physical Fitness Test:
- 2 minutes max reps push-ups.
- 2 minutes max reps sit-ups.
- 12-Mile Ruck Run: maximum time allotted is 3 hours 30 minutes.
This plan will take commitment to complete.
- Sunday: Total Rest
- Saturday: 4-6 hours (Mini events)
- Monday/Wednesday: up to 4 hours. This depends largely on your ruck time.
- Tuesday: less than 60 minutes.
- Thursday: 3 – 4.5 hours
- Friday: Total Rest
1. Build Rucking Performance/Endurance – The best way to improving rucking performance is to ruck. During this program you’ll ruck 4 days/week, and at the top of the cycle, will ruck 18 miles in one session, and 58 miles in a week.
2. Build Stamina and Strength Endurance – We’ll build your work capacity through Sandbag Get-ups, long weekend events and stamina sessions aimed at improving recovery and preparing the body for the long event.
3. Build Overall Strength – We focus on hips and legs, but maintain upper body as well.
4. Build Core Strength – Rucking under load and the long events will especially stress your midsection. Every session will challenge your midsection. You’ll come to love/hate sandbag getups and other core exercises.
5. Build Mental Fitness – Saturday training sessions are long, hard grinders which combine distance rucking with multi-modal, work capacity events. Your Saturday training will most closely resemble what you’ll face at the GORUCK Challenge and build/test both your physical and mental fitness.
- Sandbag. Men will need a 60-pound sandbag, Women will need a 40-pound sandbag
- Ruck Pack. Ideally you’ll use the same Ruck to train with that you’ll use during the GoRuck Heavy. You will also need to load it with the same weight, food, and water you’ll carry during the Heavy, so 35# not counting food and water.
- Stopwatch with interval timer
- PVC Pipe or Broom Handle
- Foam Roller
- Wrist GPS (optional) – easy to measure distance and pace
What if I miss a day?
Begin where you left off when you return to training. This program is progressed – each session builds upon the prior session – so don’t skip a session or skip around. Follow the training sessions in order, regardless.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE. The Run/Ruck Calculator is listed as an exercise.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
Yes. Click the “Sample Training” tab to see one entire week of programming.
How do I access the plan?
Access is online, via username and password. You can log in either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
More Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health. Physical training contains inherent risks including, but not limited to, muscle strains, tears, physical and bodily injury up to and including death. This training program is not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private health care practitioner. If you are unable to assume these risks then you should not engage in this training program. No liability is assumed by Mountain Tactical Institute, Inc, its owners or employees, and you train at your own risk. Mountain Tactical Institute makes no warranty, express or implied, of any kind in connection with this training program.