This is a focused, intense, limited equipment, 7-week, training plan specifically designed to efficiently and effectively prepare athletes for lift-assisted alpine skiing. Complete this program the 7 weeks directly before your ski trip or season. Week 7 is a taper/unload week.
This is Version 5 of our Dryland Ski Training Plan – updated in July 2019.
- Build the eccentric strength and strength endurance in your legs to prepare you for the eccentric loading which occurs during alpine skiing.
- Build the lactate tolerance and recovery in your legs so you can ski harder longer, and recover quicker during stops or between runs.
- Build your core/midsection strength and overall strength to add stability during skiing and increase overall durability.
- Build your lower body connective tissue, landing mechanics, hamstring strength and overall stability to help protect your knees from injury during the ski season.
PROGRESSING THROUGH THE PROGRAM
This training program is set up to be completed sequentially. Exercises and volumes build as it progresses, so don’t skip around. Start at the beginning and follow the sessions in order.
Here is the weekly schedule:
- Monday – Leg Lactate Tolerance, Total Body Strength, Hamstring balance work
- Tuesday – Eccentric Leg Strength, Total Body Strength, Chassis Integrity (core)
- Wednesday – Recovery Run or Bike/Spin
- Thursday – Leg Lactate Tolerance, Total Body Strength, Hamstring balance work
- Friday – Eccentric Leg Strength, Total Body Strength, Chassis Integrity (core)
- 12-15″ Box or step for touch/jump/touch intervals.
- 60 pound sandbag for Men. 40-pound Sandbag for women.
- 25-pound pair of dumbbells for Men. 15-pound pair of dumbbells for women.
- Pull Up Bar
- Foam Roller
How long should the training sessions take?
What if I can’t keep up the Monday to Friday Training Schedule?
The days you train are not as important as completing the training sessions sequentially and taking 2 full day’s rest between weeks.
What if I can’t complete the exercises using the prescribed loads?
Drop, or “scale” the load or weight as necessary to meet the prescribed number of reps. For example, if the training session calls for 6x Sandbag Cleans with 60# and this is too, heavy, drop down to 40#, – whatever is required, to get 6 reps.
What if I miss a training day?
Ideally, you will train 5 days in a row, and take 2 full days off for rest. If for some reason miss a session, do not skip ahead. Start again where you left off and complete the sessions in order throughout the plan.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
What if I can’t do the whole session?
If you don’t have enough time to complete the whole session, you can split the session into two.
Can I see sample training?
Yes. Click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.
How do I access the plan?
Access is online, via username and password. You can login either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
What if I have more questions?