This is a selection-specific 8-week, 6 day/week training program specifically designed to prepare athletes for DEVGRU Selection.
The plan includes a 1-week taper, and is designed to be completed the 8 weeks directly prior to your selection start week. This is an intense training plan, including multiple 2-a-days and long weekend mini-events.
This is Version 2 of the plan, updated February 2020.
Endurance (Run, Swim, Ruck) Focused, Assessment Driven
This training plan is endurance focused, in-line with the primary fitness demand of DEVGRU selection. The plan includes specific programming to increase your ruck speed over ground for running and rucking, and in the water for swimming.
The plan includes 3 specific assessments, and follow-on progressions: You’ll take these assessments three times over the 8 weeks (beginning, middle and end):
(1) NSWDG Screening Test – Max Rep Pull ups, Max Sit Ups, Max Push Ups, 3-Mile Run, 800m Swim/Fin
(2) 9-Mile Ruck Run for Time, 45# Ruck
(3) 6-Mile Run for Time
Between assessment weeks you’ll complete assessment-based, specific progressions based on your most recent assessment results. In this way, the plan automatically “scales” to your incoming fitness, and continues to push you as your fitness improves.
General Strength and Chassis Integrity Work
In addition to NSWDG Screening Test improvement and ruck/run endurance, the plan includes general strength programming (1 day/week), focused Chassis Integrity (functional core) 2 days/week, and multiple duration, multi-modal work capacity including long 90-120 minute mini-events. Weekly Schedules:
Assessment Weeks (1, 4, 8)
- Mon – NSWDG Screening Test
- Tues – 9-Mile Ruck Run for Time @ 45#, Beach if possible
- Wed – AM: Strength/Work Capacity/Chassis Integrity, PM: 6-Mile Run for Time
- Thurs – Swimming
- Fri – Work Capacity, Chassis Integrity
- Sat – Rest
Progression Weeks (2-3, 5-7)
- Mon – AM: NSWDG Screening Test Work, PM: Moderate Pace Run (5-8 Miles)
- Tues – Threshold Ruck Run Intervals
- Wed – AM: Strength/Work Capacity/Chassis Integrity,; PM: Threshold Run Intervals
- Thurs – Swim/Fin Intervals, Long Moderate Pace Swim/Fin
- Fri – Work Capacity, Chassis Integrity
- Sat – Mini Event (90-120 Minutes)
- Swimming pool, goggles, fins or place to do open water Finn swims.
- Fully-equipped functional fitness gym including plyo boxes, barbells, bumper plates, dumbbells/kettlebells, pull up bars, etc.
- 45# Ruck for rucking
- 60# Sandbag
- Stopwatch with repeating interval timer. Smartphone will work.
What if I miss a day?
Don’t skip ahead. Start where you left off. The plan is progressive, and its training sessions designed to be completed in order.
What if I have less then 8 weeks before I start the Selection Course?
Still start at the beginning of this training plan anyway, then on the week directly before selection, skip ahead and complete week 8 of the plan.
What if I can’t handle the training volume at first?
If you can’t handle the training volume at first, it’s better to cut training sessions short, rather than take unscheduled rest days.
What if I can’t make the prescribed reps for the bodyweight exercises, or the prescribed interval times for the rucks, runs or swims?
Do your best, and be sure to do the total number of rounds, even if you can’t make the reps or the time. Don’t quit.
How do you count reps for Sandbag Getups, and Step ups?
Sandbag Getups – The prescribed rep count is total reps, so 50x Sandbag Getups at 60# sandbag = 50x total reps, 25x each shoulder.
Step Ups – The prescribed rep count is total reps, so 600x step ups = 600 total, or 300x per leg.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE. The Run Calculator and Ruck Calculators are is listed as exercises.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
What if I can’t do the whole session?
If you don’t have enough time to complete the whole session, you can split the session into two.
Can I see sample training?
Yes. Click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.
How do I access the plan?
You can access the plan via username and password either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
More questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org