This 7-Week, 5 day/week Training plan is sport-specifically designed to meet the fitness demands of Fire Academies. This training plan is designed to be completed the 7 weeks directly before you report for the academy. Week 7 is an unload/taper week which will allow to report the the academy fit and rested.
The program is progressive – it increases in intensity, volume and difficulty as you work through it.
Fire Academy Fitness Demands
This plan specifically focused on preparing you for the fitness demands you’ll face at the academy. While each state/department is different, in our research we found these common fitness demands:
- Morning PT – Pull ups, push ups, burpees, sit ups and other bodyweight calisthenics, as well as unloaded running at a threshold to moderate pace.
- Fire Grounds Training – Multiple hours in turn out gear conducing fire suppression, ladder, rescue, emergency egress and other drill.
- Low Movement – Low crawls and duck walks, especially during fire ground training evolutions.
- Tower Training – Up and down stairs all day.
- Chassis Integrity – Functional, transferable core/mis-section strength and strength endurance for mission performance and overall durability.
- Multi-Modal Work Capacity – Prepares candidates for hard, intense, threshold rescue and other evolutions
- Overall Endurance and Stamina – Often in turn out gear and under load during long days of frequent fire grounds training
This is what your training week will look like:
- Monday: Morning PT Fitness Assessment or Pull Ups, Push Ups, Sit Ups, Burpees and Running work
- Tuesday: Strength, Fire Ground Endurance
- Wednesday: Work Capacity, Shuttle Sprints, Chassis Integrity
- Thursday: Stair Endurance, Moderate Run
- Friday: Strength, Fire Ground Endurance
This is a limited equipment training plan. The following equipment is needed:
- Stopwatch with repeating countdown interval timer (smartphone will work)
- Sandbag (60# sandbag for men, 40# sandbag for women) MTI sells sandbags here. As well, • you can make your own out of an old duffle bag.
- 25# Weight Vest (We recommend this one.
- Pair of Dumbbells (Men – 25#, Women – 15#)
- 15-18” bench or box for step ups
- Foam Roller
How long are the training sessions?
What if I miss a session?
Start again where you left off. Don’t skip ahead.
How do I know if I’m fit enough to start this plan?
Under the “Sample Training” tab, you’ll find Week 1 of this training plan. Complete this week of training. If you survive, you’re ready for the rest of the program.
What does 2/4x Pull Ups mean?
2x for female athletes, 4x for men.
What does 15/25# mean?
Female athletes use 15#, male athletes use 25#.
I’m overweight. What about diet/nutrition?
Click HERE for our nutritional guidelines?