This 11-Week, 6-day/week training program is sport-specifically designed to prepare athletes to complete a Half Ironman Triathlon:
- 1.2 Mile (1.9K) Swim
- 13.1 Mile (21.1K) Run
- 56 Mile (90K) Bike
This plan is designed to be completed the 11 weeks directly before your Race. Week 1 in the plan is an unload/taper week so the plan can be completed directly before your event, which the plan has scheduled as the Saturday of Week 11.
This training program has 4 general objectives:
- (1) Build volume so you can complete and recover from a Half Ironman Triathlon.
- (2) Increase swim, bike and run aerobic base
- (3) Increase swim speed in the water, and bike and run speed over ground
- (4) Increase overall durability through total body and focused chassis integrity (functional core) strength training.
This training plan deploys multiple individual swim, bike and run assessments (flat road) and uses assessment performance for follow-on threshold interval training. As well, this training plan deploys shorter triathlons and full Half Ironmans on Saturdays to prepare you for the actual event.
While this plan includes strength and core training, Its focus is on swim/bike/run speed and endurance.
To begin this program, you must be able to swim 750m, bike 45K and run 9K.
This is Version 1 of this plan, built June 2020.
Strength / Chassis Integrity
This training plan includes total body (lower/upper) and chassis integrity (functional core) strength programming to address strength imbalances, add work for non-biking days, and increase overall durability.
- Mon: 750m, 1,500m or 1,950m Swim Assessment or Swim Intervals plus an easy Run
- Tue: 45K, 60K or 90K Bike Assessment or Bike Intervals
- Wed: 9K, 15K or 21K Run Assessment or Run Intervals plus an easy Swim
- Thu: Gym-Based Strength & Chassis Integrity or Rest
- Fri: Total Rest
- Sat: Triathlon
- Sun: Easy Bike plus Easy Run or Rest
What is the Required Equipment?
- – Stop Watch with repeating countdown timer (smartphone will work)
- – Fully equipped weight room with a squat rack, bench, barbell, plates, dumbbells and/or kettlebells
- – Sandbag – 40# for women, 60# for men
- – Foam Roller
- – Bike and Swimming Pool
How fit do you need to be able to begin this plan?
To begin this program, you must be able to swim 750m, bike 45k and run 9K.
How Long do the Sessions Last?
1-8 hours. Longest days will be the Saturday triathlon and Sunday easy bike ride and run. Thursday Gym-based sessions are designed to last 50-60 minutes.
What if I miss a day?
If you miss a day, skip that session and move on to keep on the programming schedule. The programming is progressive – it builds upon itself. Don’t skip ahead.
What does 25/35# Dumbbell Crawl mean? What about 3/5x Chin Ups.
25/35# Dumbbell Crawl = women use 25#, men use 35#
3/6x Chin Ups = Women do 3x, Men do 6x.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health. Physical training contains inherent risks including, but not limited to, muscle strains, tears, physical and bodily injury up to and including death. This training program is not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private health care practitioner. If you are unable to assume these risks then you should not engage in this training program. No liability is assumed by Mountain Tactical Institute, Inc, its owners or employees, and you train at your own risk. Mountain Tactical Institute makes no warranty, express or implied, of any kind in connection with this training program.