Intense, 9-Week training program specifically designed to prepare athletes for the USAF Combat Control, Pararescue and Combat Rescue Officer selections.
This 5 day/week training plan includes multiple 2-a-day training sessions, as well as Saturday mini-events, and swimming, lode carry, and extensive rucking and running.
Emphasis is on PAST improvement, running (1.5 and 6 mile), Ruck Running, Heavy Rucking, extensive swimming (1500m, Hypoxic Swims), treading water, and bodyweight calesthentics – the exercises and events you’ll face at selection.
The plan includes 5 specific assessments, and follow-on progressions. You’ll take these assessments multiple times over the 9 weeks:
(1) PAST – 25m Underwater Swims, 500m swim, 1.5 Mile run, Max Pull ups, Max Sit ups, Max Push ups (2 minutes)
(2) SWIM POOL PFT – 1500m Fin using UDT/Combat Side Stroke, Max Air Squats (1 min), Max Flutter Kicks (2 min)
(3) 10 Mile Heavy Ruck for Time – 60# Ruck, 10lb Rubber Rifle, Full Cammies/Boots, Helmet
(4) 5 Mile Ruck Run for Time – 45# Ruck, 10lb Rubber Rifle, Full Cammies/Boots, Helmet
(5) 6 Mile Run for Time, shorts and t-shirt
General Training Schedule
Monday AM – PAST Work, PM – Heavy Ruck Intervals
Tuesday AM – Swim PFT Work, PM – Run Intervals
Wednesday AM – Core/Work Cap, PM – Ruck Run Intervals
Thursday AM – Swimming
Friday AM – Stamina or Rest
Saturday – Mini Event or Rest
What equipment is needed to complete this program?
- Stop Watch with Repeating Countdown Timer – smart phone will work.
- 60# Sandbags
- ALICE Ruck or same ruck you will use at selection, 60# of filler, 10# Rubber Rifle (No rifle? Use a 10 lb sledge hammer or a 10# dumbbell)
- Pair of 45# and 55# Dumbbells
- Pull up Bar
- Olympic-size swimming pool
- Rocket or similar fins and goggles for finning/swimming
- Individual Body Armor (IBA) or 25# Weight Vest
- 15-18″ Box or bench for step ups
- Optional – GPS-enabled Stop Watch with repeating countdown timer. A GPS enabled watch will make measuring run and ruck distances easier.
What if I miss a day?
Don’t skip ahead. Start where you left off. The plan is progressive, and its training sessions designed to be completed in order.
What if I have less then 8 weeks before I start the Selection Course?
Still start at the beginning of this training plan anyway. Don’t skip ahead.
What if I can’t handle the training volume at first?
Building stamina and resilience is a key training goal of this plan, and physical and mental stamina is also key to completing the Selection course. If you can’t handle the training volume at first, its better to cut training sessions short, rather than take unscheduled rest days.
What if I can’t make the prescribed reps for the bodyweight exercises, or the prescribed interval times for the rucks or runs?
Do your best, and be sure to do the total number of rounds, even if you can’t make the reps or the time. Don’t quit.
How do you count reps for Sandbag Getups and 25m Shuttle Intervals?
Sandbag Getups – The prescribed rep count is total reps, so 50x Sandbag Getups at 60# sandbag = 50x total reps, 25x each shoulder.
What if I miss a day?
Begin where you left off when you return to training. This programmed is progressed – each session builds upon the prior session – so don’t skip a session or skip around. Follow the training sessions in order, regardless.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE. The Run Calculator is listed as an exercise.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
Click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.