This 6-Week, 4 day/week Sport-Specific pre-season training program is for kayakers, canoeists and other river athletes. It is designed to be completed directly before the paddling season.
(1) Develop the strength, power, and strength endurance of your upper body and core. Upper body pressing and pulling strength, power and strength endurance are the primary drivers of paddling performance. This training program hammers your upper body and midsection.
(2) Train your paddling-specific work capacity/energy system (lungs and heart). Your lungs and heart are the drivers behind your paddling muscles. We train these sport-specifically through hard paddling intervals on the water.
(3) Increase your overall strength and mental fitness so you are more durable. We understand the danger of kayaking and the other paddling sports. In our experience, stronger athletes are simply harder to injure. Mentally fit athletes never give up.
Note: The Tuesday and Thursday work capacity training is this plan has you paddling in water. Here in Wyoming we paddled against the flow of the Snake River – in snowy/icy March! You can also complete these intervals in a lake.
- Monday – Sport-specific, Gym-Based Power/Strength Endurance
- Tuesday – Work Capacity Training (Water)
- Wednesday – Sport-specific, Gym-Based Power/Strength Endurance
- Thursday – Work Capacity Training (Water)
- Fully equipped weightroom (any commercial gym will work)
- Open water for the paddling intervals – river, lake, pond, etc.
- Drysuit if it’s cold.
- Stopwatch with interval timer
What if I miss a day?
Begin where you left off when you return to training. This program is progressed – each session builds upon the prior session – so don’t skip a session or skip around. Follow the training sessions in order, regardless.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
Yes. Click the “Sample Training” tab to see an entire week of programming.
How do I access the plan?
Access is online, via username and password. You can log in either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
How do I record my assessment Results?
Notebook and pencil.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
More Questions? Email: email@example.com
Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health. Physical training contains inherent risks including, but not limited to, muscle strains, tears, physical and bodily injury up to and including death. This training program is not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private health care practitioner. If you are unable to assume these risks then you should not engage in this training program. No liability is assumed by Mountain Tactical Institute, Inc, its owners or employees, and you train at your own risk. Mountain Tactical Institute makes no warranty, express or implied, of any kind in connection with this training program.