The MTI “Big Cat” Training Packet is composed of our 5 big cat training plans developed tactical training of full-time Fire/Rescue athletes.
The “Big Cat” plans represent deploy the most recent iteration of our Fluid Periodization model where we train the 4 fitness attributes of a Fire/Rescue Athletes:
- 1) Relative Strength – strength per bodyweight
- 2) Work Capacity – horse power for short, intense, dangerous events
- 3) Chassis Integrity – mission-direct midsection training which transfers to the job
- 4) Tactical Agility – Tactical Speed, Explosive Power, and Agility
This is Version 3 of the packet and plans, updated March 2023 to include the Fire/Rescue On-Ramp Training Plan.
6 Plans are included in this packet are designed as tactical training for fit, full-time urban firefighters and other Fire/Rescue Athletes
The first plan is the Fire/Rescue On-Ramp Training Plan, which provides an entry to MTI programming for incoming Fire/Rescue Athletes.
Training is designed in a Monday – Friday format (5 days on, 2 days off). Each week you will have five prescribed training sessions. Most sessions take between 55-65 minutes depending on your run speed. Below is the weekly schedule for the On-Ramp plan:
- Monday: Physical Fitness Test or Bodyweight Strength & Work Capacity
- Tuesdays: Bodyweight Strength, Work Capacity, “Chassis” Circuit
- Wednesdays: Endurance Run
- Thursdays: Bodyweight Strength, Work Capacity, “Chassis” Circuit
- Fridays: Bodyweight Strength, Work Capacity, “Chassis” Circuit
- Monday: Physical Fitness Test or Dumbbell Strength
- Tuesdays: Endurance Assessment or Work Capacity & “Chassis” Circuit
- Wednesdays: Run Intervals
- Thursdays: Dumbbell Strength
- Fridays: Work Capacity & “Chassis” Circuit
Big Cat Plans
Following the On-Ramp Plan are the 5 plans in the Big Cat series. These are designed as day-to-day programming to address the mission-direct fitness demands of full time Urban Fire/Rescue athletes:
We recommend completing these plans in the order below:
Click on the links above to find a detailed description for each plan, as well as finding the first week of training for each plan.
- Fully-equipped functional fitness gym including racks, barbells, bumper plates, plyo boxes, dumbbells or kettlebells, sandbags (40/60/80#).
- Sprinting area for sprints/shuttles up to 25m. These can be outside.
- 25# Weight Vest, SCBA, or 25# backpack
- Stopwatch with a countdown interval timer.
What order should the plans be completed?
We recommend the order listed above:
What Equipment is Required”
- Barbell, Rack, Plates and/or a Full set of Dumbbells or Kettlebells
- Sandbags: 40, 60, and 80 Pounds
- Flat Bench
- Bench/Box for Step Ups
- Parking Lot/Open Garage Bay for Sprints
- Turnout Gear
- Foam Roller
*** Note: Many of the weight training exercises in the plan can be completed with either a barbell and plates or dumbbells/kettlebells. For example, if the session calls for power cleans, and your station doesn’t have a barbell/plates, you can substitute dumbbells and/or kettlebells and complete the dumbbell/kettlebell versions of the exercises. Be resourceful.
What if I miss a training day?
Ideally, you will train 4 days per week, and take 3 full days off for rest or active recovery. If for some reason miss a session, do not skip ahead. Start again where you left off and complete the sessions in order throughout the plan.
The programming is progressive – it builds upon itself – and the training sessions are designed to be completed in order.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
To see the first week of programming for each of these training plans click on the individual training plans below, and then click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.
What if I can’t do the whole session?
If you don’t have enough time to complete the whole session, you can split the session into two.
How do I access the plan? Pdf? Online?
Plan access is online, via username and password.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
More questions? Email email@example.com
The $199 price for this packet represents about 30% savings over purchasing the plans individually!
Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health. Physical training contains inherent risks including, but not limited to, muscle strains, tears, physical and bodily injury up to and including death. This training program is not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private health care practitioner. If you are unable to assume these risks then you should not engage in this training program. No liability is assumed by Mountain Tactical Institute, Inc, its owners or employees, and you train at your own risk. Mountain Tactical Institute makes no warranty, express or implied, of any kind in connection with this training program.