This is an intense training program specifically designed to prepare Australian military personnel for the 2 Commando Assessment and Selection.
This is the first version of MTI’s 2 Commando A&S Training Plan, built February 2019.
You’ll train 8 weeks, 6 days/week with many 2-a-Day training sessions.
To successfully complete this program you’ll need to make training for selection a priority during your workday. The training plan is designed to be completed the 8 weeks directly before 2 Commando A&S. Week 8 in the plan is an unload/taper week.
This plan is “sport specific” to the specific fitness demands you’ll face at 2 Commando A&S – specifically rucking, running, work capacity hazing events, Rifle PT, swimming, swim PT, and treading.
- Specific Testing and progressive training for the Day 1 Webbing Run and 20km Ruck.
- Extended, multi-modal work capacity events
- Chassis Integrity Work – intense core training
- Endurance Rucking and running for land navigation and movement between training events
- Swim PT sessions in the pool
- Extended treading drills with a rubber rifle or 4kg sledgehammer in a swimming pool
WEEKLY SCHEDULE (Weeks 2-7)
The weekly training schedule for this training plan begins on a Sunday and ends on a Friday. Saturdays are reserved for total rest.
Week 1 in the training plan is an initial assessment week, and scheduled training for just 5 days. Week 8 in the training plan is an unload/taper week into selection. Below is the training schedule for the bulk of the plan, weeks 2-7:
- Sunday (2-A-Day): AM – Work Capacity, Webbing Run Intervals; PM – Work Capacity, Ruck Intervals
- Monday (2-A-Day): AM – Strength/Work Capacity/Chassis Integrity; PM – Swimming and Treading
- Tuesday: Long Ruck at Moderate Pace
- Wednesday (2-A-Day): AM – Strength/Work Capacity/Chassis Integrity; PM – Swimming and Treading
- Thursday: AM – Work Capacity, Webbing Run Intervals; PM – Work Capacity, Ruck Intervals
- Friday: Work Capacity, Endurance (Long Run at Easy Pace)
- Saturday: Total Rest
RUN/RUCK/SWIM INTERVAL CALCULATORS
The training plan includes testing and scaled intervals for your Day 1 webbing run, and 20k ruck assessments. These paces are based on your webbing run and 20k ruck assessment. You’ll take these assessments 3 times throughout the plan. Use your latest assessment results for the subsequent training sessions.
We use interval training to train your run, rucking, and swimming fitness. The interval distances are shorter and pace faster than your latest assessment pace.
Enter your assessment distance and pace in the calculators, and they will spit out your interval distance times. The calculators are listed under the “Exercises” tab on the website toolbar.
Webbing Run, Ruck, Run, Work Capacity Events & Swim Uniforms
- Webbing Run – Full cammies, boots, 4kg-rubber rifle or sledge hammer
- Rucking – Full cammies, Ruck, Boots, 4kg-rubber rifle or sledge hammer
- Unloaded Running – Shorts, T-Shirt
- Work Capacity Events -Full cammies, boots
- Swimming – Shorts and T-Shirt
- Treading – Shorts and T-Shirt
What equipment is needed to complete this training plan?
- Stop Watch with Repeating Countdown Timer – Smartphone will work.
- 20kg Sandbag
- Ruck – ideally same ruck you will use at the course, 30kg and 20kg of filler
- 4kg Rubber Rifle or 4kg Sledge Hammer
- Swimming Pool
- Pull Up Bar
- Foam Roller
What if I have less then 8 weeks before I start the Selection Course?
Still start at the beginning of this training plan anyway. Don’t skip ahead until your final week before beginning A&S, then skip ahead and complete Week 8 in this plan for the week directly before selection.
What if I can’t handle the training volume at first?
Building stamina and resilience is a key training goal of this plan, and physical and mental stamina is also key to completing the Selection course. If you can’t handle the training volume at first, it is better to cut training sessions short, rather than take unscheduled rest days.
What if I can’t make the prescribed reps for the exercises, or the prescribed interval times for the rucks or runs?
Do your best, and be sure to do the total number of rounds, even if you can’t make the reps or the time. Don’t quit.
What if I can’t do the whole session?
If you don’t have enough time to complete the whole session, you can split the session into two.
What if I miss a day?
Begin where you left off when you return to training. This program is progressed – each session builds upon the prior session – so don’t skip a session or skip around. Follow the training sessions in order, regardless.
Where do I find unfamiliar exercises?
See our Exercise Library HERE. The Run/Ruck Calculator is listed as an exercise.
What about nutrition?
See our Nutritional Guidelines HERE.
Can I see sample training?
Yes. Click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.
How do I access the plan?
You can access the plan via username and password either through our website or through our app (Mtn Tactical Fitness) available for IOS and Android.
Can I print out sessions to take to the gym?
Yes – you can print a week of programming at a time.
How do I record my assessment Results?
Notebook and pencil.
More Questions? Email: email@example.com
Before beginning any exercise program, consult with your physician to ensure that you are in proper health. Physical training contains inherent risks including, but not limited to, muscle strains, tears, physical and bodily injury up to and including death. This training program is not meant to provide medical advice; you should obtain medical advice from your private health care practitioner. If you are unable to assume these risks then you should not engage in this training program. No liability is assumed by Mountain Tactical Institute, Inc, its owners or employees, and you train at your own risk. Mountain Tactical Institute makes no warranty, express or implied, of any kind in connection with this training program.