By Rob Shaul
MTI needs remote lab rats for an upcoming, multi-modal 4 or 5 day/week, 4-week, “Mini-Study.”
The Mini-Study will test the effect of training volume across three training measurables: Strength (barbell and bodyweight), Sprint-Based Work Capacity, and Endurance (3-Mile run Performance).
Specifically, we’re interested to see if we can reach the same fitness results by training 2/3 of the total volume for Strength, Work Capacity and Endurance.
Lab Rats will be broken into two groups, Group A and Group B. Both groups will complete a Strength, Work Capacity and Endurance Assessment at the beginning of the cycle.
Over the next 4 weeks, Group A will train 5 days/week. Group B will train 4 days/week, and complete 2/3 the total training volume of Group A.
Below are the specific assessments –
- Strength – 1RM Front Squat, 1RM Push Press and Max Rep Pull Ups
- Work Capacity – Max Rep 40-Foot Prone to Sprint Shuttles in 3 minutes
- Endurance – 3 Mile Run for Time
- Weight Room with rack, barbell and plates for the Front Squat and Push Press, and a Pull Up bar for the Pull Ups.
- 40-Foot indoor or outdoor space for the 40-Foot Prone to Sprint Shuttles
- Track or known 3 mile and 1-Mile distances for the run efforts.
Cycle Duration and Schedule:
This MTI “Mini Study” will take 4 weeks. It will begin Monday, October 14. Below is the Cycle outline by Group.
- You’ll need to commit to train and 4-5 days/week for 4 weeks, and follow the programming as prescribed.
- You’ll need to commit to only do this training, no other fitness-specific training is allowed as it will skew the results. Regular weekend activities are okay.
- You’ll need the required equipment (see above)
- You’ll need to be an experienced, relatively fit athlete. This isn’t a cycle for unfit athletes, or athletes new to free weight-based strength training. You’ll need to know your way around a weight room.
- You’ll need to communicate back to MTI your pre and post-cycle 1RM strength assessment results for the Front Squat and Push Press, max rep pull up results, and your 3-mile assessment time.
- The cycle will begin Monday, October 14, 2019 and end, Friday, November 8, 2019.
Want to be an MTI Lab Rat?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and put “October 14 MTI Lab Rat” in the subject line.
- your age
- height and weight
- training experience.
- please indicate if you already have an MTI account, and if so, the email for the account. Access to the cycle will be via the website.
- Finally, please verify you can commit to the 4 weeks, 4-5 day/week training cycle.
You’ll be assigned to Group A or B, and provided with further instructions next week. Training will start October 14,2019.