8-week,6-day a week, often 2x/day training program specifically designed to prepare athletes for the US Air Force Tactical Air Control Party Technical School (USAF TACP). The plan is designed to be completed the 8 weeks directly prior to your course start week.
This program follows a general format and gets progressively harder each week, until week 8, when the training tapers down into the start of School.
The plan is “sport specific” to the fitness demands you’ll face at TACP school – specifically PAST preparation, bodyweight work capacity “smoke sessions,” running, and rucking. It aims to build your “combat chassis” – legs, core, lungs and heart, overall durability, and endurance/stamina for long days on your feet, in kit, during school.
The plan includes:
- Focused Testing and progressive training for the USAF PAST
- Light (50#) and Heavy (65#) Rucking
- Bodyweight Work Capacity Smokers
- Distance Running
- Focused Sprinting with and without body armor
- Intense core, mobility, and stabilzer strength training for durability
- Intense “mini events” to prepare you for the long days
The plan has 48 Total Training Sessions. It is intended that you’ll train Monday – Saturday, and take Sunday’s off.
Here is the general training Schedule:
- Mon: PAST Work/Ruck
- Tues: 6-Mile Run Work
- Wed: Work Cap/Run
- Thurs: Work Cap/Ruck
- Fri: Recovery Run
- Sat: Mini Event
Saturdays are reserved for long, “mini events” which include running, rucking, and work capacity smokers. These efforts range from 120-240 minutes in duration.
The plan includes 5 specific assessments, and follow-on progressions. You’ll take these assessments multiple times over the 8 weeks:
(1) PAST -1.5 Mile run, Max Pull ups, Max Sit ups, Max Push ups (2 minutes)
(2) 5-Mile “Light” Ruck for Time – 50# Ruck + 10lb sledge hammer or dumbbell, Full Cammies/Boots, Helmet
(3) 10 Mile “Heavy” Ruck for Time – 65# Ruck + 10lb sledge hammer or dumbbell, Full Cammies/Boots, Helmet
(4) 10 Min Sandbag Getups @ 80# for Reps
(5) 6 Mile Run for Time, shorts and t-shirt
What equipment is needed to complete this program?
- GPS-enabled Watch. A GPS enabled watch will make measuring run and ruck distances much easier, as well as maintaining required pacing. We like the Garmin Forerunner 10 or Foreunner 15.
- Stop Watch with repeating countdown timer. We like Timex Ironman watches for easy repeating countdown timers
- 60# and 80# Sandbag. We sell sandbags HERE … or you can use any old duffle bag. Wood Pellets or mulch made from ground up tires make great filler.
- ALICE Ruck or same ruck you will use at selection, 65# of filler
- 10# Sledge hammer or dumbbell. You’ll carry this while rucking.
- Pair of 25# Dumbbells
- Foam Roller
- Body Armor
What if I miss a day?
Don’t skip ahead. Start where you left off. The plan is progressive, and its training sessions designed to be completed in order.
What if I have less then 8 weeks before I start the Selection Course?
Still start at the beginning of this training plan anyway. Don’t skip ahead. Complete week 8 directly before selection.
What if I can’t handle the training volume at first?
Building stamina and reslience is a key training goal of this plan, and physical and mental stamina is also key to completing the Selection course. If you can’t handle the training volume at first, its better to cut training sessions short, rather than take unscheduled rest days.
What if I can’t make the prescribed reps for the bodyweight exercises, or the prescribed interval times for the rucks/runs?
Do your best, and be sure to do the total number of rounds, even if you can’t make the reps or the time. Don’t quit.
What about nutrition?
Click HERE for our nutritional guidelines.
Click the “Sample Training” tab to see the entire first week of programming.
I looked at the Sample Training and I’m not ready for this plan. Is there another I should start with?
Start with the Military On-Ramp Training Plan.