This is a sport-specific 8-week program specifically designed to prepare athletes for the U.S. Marshals Service Special Operations Group (SOG) Selection Course. The plan includes a 1-week
The plan includes a 1-week taper, and is designed to be completed directly prior to your selection course start week.
This is a very intense, 6-day a week, often 2x/day training program with high levels of volume and stress. The intensity of this training plan reflects the volume and intensity of the USMS SOG selection course. Be safe and smart about your training as you work through the program and don’t be afraid to cut down sessions, or if necessary take an extra rest day if needed.
This program follows a general format and gets progressively harder each week, until week 8, when the training tapers down into the start of selection. Don’t skip ahead!! The plan is designed to build upon itself. If you have to miss a training day, start up back where you left off.
To successfully complete this program you’ll need to make training for selection a priority during your work day.
This plan is “sport specific” to the specific fitness demands you’ll face at USMS SOG selection – specifically bodyweight smokers, running, some swimming and significant rucking. In general, it’s aims to build your “combat chassis” – legs, core, lungs and heart. The plan includes:
– Testing and progressive training for the USMS PFT
– Long Rucks and Runs with intervals to increase you speed over ground
– Work Capacity Smokers 2-3x/week
– Sandbag Getups for work capacity, mental toughness, and core strength
– Additional core, mobility, and stabilzer strength training for durability
Here is the general training Schedule for weeks 1-8:
AM: PFT Work
PM: Rucking Intervals
Work Capacity and Chassis Integrity
PM: Work Capacity
2 Mile Run Intervals
Work Capacity, Chassis Integrity, Grip Strength
The plan includes 5 specific assessments and follow-on progressions. You’ll take these assessments multiple times over the 8 weeks:
(1) USMS PFT- Max Sit ups (1 minute), Max Push ups (1 minute), Max Pull ups, 1.5 Mile Run
(2) 5 Mile Ruck Run for Time – 45# Ruck, 10lb Rubber Rifle, or Sledge Hammer, Full Cammies/Boots, Helmet
(3) 6 Mile Run for Time
(4) 10 Minute Sandbag Getup (SBGU) for reps at 60# Sandbag
(5) 1.5 Mile IBA Run
What equipment is needed to complete this program?
- Fully equipped weight room
- Stop Watch with repeating countdown timer (We like Timex Ironman)
- 60# Sandbag
- ALICE Ruck or same ruck you will use at selection, 45# of filler 55# weight vest and 35# ram or dumbbell
- 10# Rubber Rifle (No rifle? Use a 10 lb sledge hammer)
- Pair of 25# Dumbbells
- GPS-enabled Stop Watch with repeating countdown timer (Garmin Forerunner 10 is recommended ) – a GPS Watch will make completing your running and ruck assessments and intervals much easier.
What if I miss a day?
Don’t skip ahead. Start where you left off. The plan is progressive, and its training sessions designed to be completed in order.
What if I have less then 8 weeks before I start the Selection Course?
Still start at the beginning of this training plan anyway. Don’t skip ahead.
What if I can’t handle the training volume at first?
Building stamina and resilience is a key training goal of this plan, and physical and mental stamina is also key to completing the Selection course. If you can’t handle the training volume at first, it is better to cut training sessions short, rather than take unscheduled rest days.
What if I can’t make the prescribed reps for the bodyweight exercises, or the prescribed interval times for the rucks, or runs?
Do your best, and be sure to do the total number of rounds, even if you can’t make the reps or the time. Don’t quit.
I can’t pass the swim and water tread… what should I do?
Use our Swim Improvement Plan to increase water confidence on days which only have one training session. This is an easy test, but don’t let it be the reason you don’t make it.
How do you count reps for Sandbag Getups, and Step ups?
Sandbag Getups – The prescribed rep count is total reps, so 50x Sandbag Getups at 60# sandbag = 50x total reps,
25x each shoulder.
Step Ups – The prescribed rep count is total reps, so 600x step ups = 600 total, or 300x per leg.
Where do I find descriptions for Unfamiliar Exercises?
Click our Exercises Page HERE
Can I see a sample training session from the plan?
Click the “Sample Training” tab above to see Week 1 of the plan
I’m not sure if I’m fit enough for this plan. What should I do?
Start with the Sample Training from the tab above. If you’re smoked, Email firstname.lastname@example.org for direction.
What if I have more questions?