The following is a sport-specific 8-week program specifically designed to prepare athletes for the Smokejumper Rookie Training Course. The plan includes a 1-week taper, and is designed to be completed the 8 weeks directly prior to your training start week.
This is a very intense program that includes training 6-day a week, with three 2-a-day training sessions per week. It contains high levels of volume and stress. The intensity of this training plan reflects the volume and intensity of Rookie Training. Be safe and smart about your training as you work through the program and don’t be afraid to cut down sessions, or if necessary take an extra rest day if needed. The plan has 48 total Training Sessions.
This plan is “sport specific” to the specific fitness demands you’ll face at Rookie Training – specifically work capacity “smoke sessions,” running and rucking (moving with additional weight . It aims to build your “combat chassis” – legs, core, lungs and heart, overall durability, and endurance/stamina for long days on your feet, in kit, during selection.
The plan includes:
- Focused Testing and progressive training for the Smokejumper PFT, including the heavy pack-out rucks
- Work Capacity Smokers 2-3x/week
- Sandbag Getups for work capacity, mental fitnes, and core strength
- Intense core, mobility, and stabilizer strength training for durability
- Upper body strength
- Multi-modal run events with and without weight
- Intense “mini events” to prepare you for the long days