This 8-week training program is designed for high level recreational and competitive mountain bikers. It is intended to be started as the first block of training in preparation for the season.
The program combines gym training and cycling to develop the necessary athletic attributes, technical skills, and durability needed for a long season of mountain biking.
The 8-week long plan includes 2 unload weeks, a 3-week hypertrophy and strength cycle, and two 3-week base-style cycling blocks.
1. Build protective “armor” for the season through hypertrophy.
2. Build strength and muscle recruitment for short, intense efforts:
3. Build eccentric strength, lactate buffering capabilities, and maximum effort mental fitness:
4. Begin to build your aerobic base:
5. Train sport-specific speed skills and tempo efforts:
6. Strengthen your core:
WEEK 1 (SESSIONS 1-6): Hypertrophy and Base; 10 total hours of training
WEEK 2 (SESSIONS 7-12): Hypertrophy and Base; 10.5 total hours of training
WEEK 3 (SESSIONS 13-18): Hypertrophy and Tempo; 9 total hours of training
WEEK 4 (SESSIONS 19-24): Recovery/Unload week; Core and Base; 8 total hours of training
WEEK 5 (SESSIONS 25-30): Strength and Base; 11 total hours of training
WEEK 6 (SESSIONS 31-36): Strength and Base; 11.5 total hours of training
WEEK 7 (SESSIONS 37-42): Strength and Tempo; 10 total hours of training
WEEK 8 (SESSIONS 43-48): Recovery/Unload week; Core and Base; 9 total hours of training