• 5-Week, 5x day/week Training Plan specifically for the GORUCK Challenge Event
• Rucking focus, but also trains strength, work capacity, durability and mental fitness
• Don’t use this plan for GORUCK Heavy or Selection events – we have specific plans for these
• Requires full weightroom for strength work, as well as a ruck and sandbag
• This training plan is one of the 182+ Plans included with an Athlete’s Subscription.
5-Week, progressive, sport-specific training plan designed to prepare participants for the GORUCK Challenge.
The main fitness demand of the GORUCK Challenge is rucking, 20-25 miles with load. Additional fitness demands include lifting an carrying heavy, odd objects, extended calisthenics, and overall fitness/endurance for a 12-14 hour event.
Ideally, you will train Saturday, take Sunday off, train Monday through Thursday, and take Friday off.
TRAINING PROGRAM GOALS
– Build Rucking Performance/Endurance – The best way to improving rucking performance is to ruck. During this program you’ll ruck 3 days/week, and at the top of the cycle, will ruck 16 miles in one session, and 30 miles in a week.
– Build Work Capacity – GORUCK Challenges are more than long rucks. You’ll be tasked with multiple team events which will test your overall work capacity. This program includes multi-modal and odd-object work capacity events to prepare you.
– Build Overall Strength – You’ll move some iron in the weightroom as part of this program. The focus is on your leg/hip/core and upper body strength. Strong athletes perform better and are more durable.
– Build Core Strength – Rucking under load and the team events will especially stress your midsection. This program hammers core strength 5 days a week. You’ll come to love/hate sandbag getups and other core exercises.
– Build Mental Fitness – Saturday training sessions are long, hard grinders which combine distance rucking with multi-modal, work capacity events. Your Saturday training will most closely resemble what you’ll face at the GORUCK Challenge and build/test both your physical and mental fitness.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Quick kudos on the GoRuck Challenge train up. I started with an adequate fitness level but had not trained endurance in over a year. This was my first experience with GoRuck so preparation was important to me. Your ruck progressions were excellent! I was squared away and able to relax and enjoy, rather than suffer through it. I also found the mini-events, during the hottest month of the year, to be a great way to dial in my event nutrition and hydration. Great work as always! - J
Wanted to take a quick second to send a thank you your way for your advice and programming that allowed me to accomplish a major goal of mine. I completed the GORUCK HTL a few weeks back and I owe a lot of credit to you for helping me to prepare physically and mentally to take on this challenge. Your programming enabled me to succeed during the PT test and continue through the physical aspects of the three events. Across the board your programming made me feel strong throughout and also, I feel, made me more injury resistant. Additionally, I think the nature of your training made me stronger mentally and allowed me to push through some of the darker times when I was tired, sore, and being asked to shoulder weight once again. I would argue that your program not only allowed me to succeed in this, but it also made me a better and stronger team member and it is my hope that my level of preparedness helped me to be someone that enabled others to push beyond their perceived limits. I say all that to say thank you for helping me to achieve this goal of mine and for helping me to be a stronger more capable team member able to contribute to the teams success. - M
Ruck 8 miles, @ minimum, 15 min/mile pace, with
Pack Loaded at Challenge Load - Choose varied,
hilly terrain, if possible
(2) Ruck 4 miles, @ 15 min/mile pace, with Pack Loaded at Challenge Load, - Choose varied, hilly terrain, if possible
By Rob Shaul
I received notes frequently from athletes hesitant to purchase a subscription or training plans asking me to sell them on why they should make the purchase.
While I understand the question, I’m not a salesman - so I can't put a hard sale on anyone for our programming.
I can tell them the process we go through to design our programming.
We begin with extensive research on the fitness demands of the event, identify the exercises and progressions which sport specifically meet those demands, chose end-of-cycle goals, and program backward to design the plan.
Then we test the cycle on ourselves and our lab rats here in Wyoming. We document, note what works and doesn’t work, re-assess, and make changes and modifications.
Then we publish the programming in the form of one of our plans or as part of our subscription daily training sessions for tactical and mountain athletes.
We don’t stop there - our daily programming is the “tip of the spear” for our programming evolution. We use these sessions to learn and make continuous improvement.
As we learn more and improve, we go back, and update the sport-specific training plans on the website. For example, we’re currently on Version 5 of our Ruck Based Selection Training Plan and Version 3 of our Dryland Ski Training Plan and Version 4 of our Big Game Back Country Hunting Training Plan.
We understand our programing isn’t cheap, but we believe it’s a great value. The $79 for the Ruck Based Selection Training Plan, and $39 for the Dryland Ski Training Plan reflect the, research, work, innovative theory, iteration, testing and feedback we've put in and received to make these plans effective.
All that matters for us is outside performance, and we feel strongly that Our Stuff Works in the real world.
Here’s our guarantee:
1) Individual Training Plan Purchase:
If you purchase an individual training plan, follow it as prescribed before your season/event/pft/selection, and if you don’t feel you were physically ready for your season/event/pft/selection, and/or didn't see dramatic improvements in your early season performance, we’ll refund your money, no questions asked.
2) Athlete's Subscription
If you purchase an Athletes' Subscription, follow the training sessions as prescribed, and are not satisfied with the quality of the programming, notify us within 30 days of purchase, and we'll refund your money, no questions asked.