5-Week, progressive, sport-specific training plan designed to prepare participants for the GORUCK Challenge.
The main fitness demand of the GORUCK Challenge is rucking, 20-25 miles with load. Additional fitness demands include lifting an carrying heavy, odd objects, extended calisthenics, and overall fitness/endurance for a 12-14 hour event.
Ideally, you will train Saturday, take Sunday off, train Monday through Thursday, and take Friday off.
TRAINING PROGRAM GOALS
– Build Rucking Performance/Endurance – The best way to improving rucking performance is to ruck. During this program you’ll ruck 3 days/week, and at the top of the cycle, will ruck 16 miles in one session, and 30 miles in a week.
– Build Work Capacity – GORUCK Challenges are more than long rucks. You’ll be tasked with multiple team events which will test your overall work capacity. This program includes multi-modal and odd-object work capacity events to prepare you.
– Build Overall Strength – You’ll move some iron in the weightroom as part of this program. The focus is on your leg/hip/core and upper body strength. Strong athletes perform better and are more durable.
– Build Core Strength – Rucking under load and the team events will especially stress your midsection. This program hammers core strength 5 days a week. You’ll come to love/hate sandbag getups and other core exercises.
– Build Mental Fitness – Saturday training sessions are long, hard grinders which combine distance rucking with multi-modal, work capacity events. Your Saturday training will most closely resemble what you’ll face at the GORUCK Challenge and build/test both your physical and mental fitness.