• 5-Week, 5x day/week Training Plan specifically for the GORUCK Challenge Event
• Rucking focus, but also trains strength, work capacity, durability and mental fitness
• Don’t use this plan for GORUCK Heavy or Selection events – we have specific plans for these
• Requires full weightroom for strength work, as well as a ruck and sandbag
• This training plan is one of the 182+ Plans included with an Athlete’s Subscription.
5-Week, progressive, sport-specific training plan designed to prepare participants for the GORUCK Challenge.
The main fitness demand of the GORUCK Challenge is rucking, 20-25 miles with load. Additional fitness demands include lifting an carrying heavy, odd objects, extended calisthenics, and overall fitness/endurance for a 12-14 hour event.
Ideally, you will train Saturday, take Sunday off, train Monday through Thursday, and take Friday off.
TRAINING PROGRAM GOALS
– Build Rucking Performance/Endurance – The best way to improving rucking performance is to ruck. During this program you’ll ruck 3 days/week, and at the top of the cycle, will ruck 16 miles in one session, and 30 miles in a week.
– Build Work Capacity – GORUCK Challenges are more than long rucks. You’ll be tasked with multiple team events which will test your overall work capacity. This program includes multi-modal and odd-object work capacity events to prepare you.
– Build Overall Strength – You’ll move some iron in the weightroom as part of this program. The focus is on your leg/hip/core and upper body strength. Strong athletes perform better and are more durable.
– Build Core Strength – Rucking under load and the team events will especially stress your midsection. This program hammers core strength 5 days a week. You’ll come to love/hate sandbag getups and other core exercises.
– Build Mental Fitness – Saturday training sessions are long, hard grinders which combine distance rucking with multi-modal, work capacity events. Your Saturday training will most closely resemble what you’ll face at the GORUCK Challenge and build/test both your physical and mental fitness.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Quick kudos on the GoRuck Challenge train up. I started with an adequate fitness level but had not trained endurance in over a year. This was my first experience with GoRuck so preparation was important to me. Your ruck progressions were excellent! I was squared away and able to relax and enjoy, rather than suffer through it. I also found the mini-events, during the hottest month of the year, to be a great way to dial in my event nutrition and hydration. Great work as always! - J
Wanted to take a quick second to send a thank you your way for your advice and programming that allowed me to accomplish a major goal of mine. I completed the GORUCK HTL a few weeks back and I owe a lot of credit to you for helping me to prepare physically and mentally to take on this challenge. Your programming enabled me to succeed during the PT test and continue through the physical aspects of the three events. Across the board your programming made me feel strong throughout and also, I feel, made me more injury resistant. Additionally, I think the nature of your training made me stronger mentally and allowed me to push through some of the darker times when I was tired, sore, and being asked to shoulder weight once again. I would argue that your program not only allowed me to succeed in this, but it also made me a better and stronger team member and it is my hope that my level of preparedness helped me to be someone that enabled others to push beyond their perceived limits. I say all that to say thank you for helping me to achieve this goal of mine and for helping me to be a stronger more capable team member able to contribute to the teams success. - M
Ruck 8 miles, @ minimum, 15 min/mile pace, with
Pack Loaded at Challenge Load - Choose varied,
hilly terrain, if possible
(2) Ruck 4 miles, @ 15 min/mile pace, with Pack Loaded at Challenge Load, - Choose varied, hilly terrain, if possible