• 10 weeks, 5 days/week
• Designed to build strength, then stamina and endurance for big mountain expeditions
• Strong focus on durability to keep you healthy in the mountains
• This training plan is one of the 182+ Plans included with an Athlete’s Subscription.
This 10-week training program is designed to prepare athletes for multi-day/week non-technical mountaineering expeditions such as climbing Denali, remote peaks in the Canadian Rockies and big mountains in the Himalaya.
You’ll train 5 days/week for a total 50x training sessions. The first 4 weeks of the plan are gym-based and designed to build a base of “mountain chassis” strength. The plan pivots to big mountain endurance and stamina for the final six weeks.
(1) Strengthen your legs and lungs for miles and thousands of vertical feet you’ll be hiking up and down during your climbing trip.
(2) Build your core/midsection strength and overall strength so your body will be able to perform well with a loaded backpack, and be able to recover from long days in the mountains.
(3) Increase your overall durability and injury resistance.
The first few weeks of the program has a solid strength and work capacity focus. The goal here is to build your strength – specifically leg and midsection – to increase your durability for the climb and build a solid “base” of work capacity.
At week 4, the plan begins to pivot toward climbing – specific strength and endurance. We work on eccentric leg strength for the downhills, and uphill hiking under load via increasing numbers of step ups.
Please email email@example.com
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Love your training plans. I used to the PreSeason backpacker and Big Mtn V2 for training for this years hiking season in the PNW (I live in Vancouver, BC). I was in great shape for hiking in our area - day hikes and multi-night trips. I also cruised through a 7 day hiking trip in the Canadian Rockies. At 43, and with sedentary work, I was in the best shape I have ever been for carrying heavy weights in my pack overs trails with elevation gain and long distances. Many thanks to you and your team. - M
Also , just wanted to let you know how great your big mtn program was. I trained with it the past 10 weeks and made a successful summit of mt rainier two weeks ago in 60 mph winds. The program had me in excellent shape for that mountain all while living here at sea level
Finished your program and summited mount Rainier with ease. Great program!
Obj: Strength/Work Capacity
(1) 6 Rounds
(2) 6 Rounds
(3) 4 Rounds As fast as Possible
(1) Run 4 miles, moderate pace
Moderate = comfortable but not easy
(2) 4 Rounds
(3) 4 Rounds
Obj: Work Capacity
(1) 8 Rounds for Time
(3) 2 Rounds
(2) 10 Rounds