This intense 6-week training program is designed to prepare athletes for backcountry skiing. It models the training program we give to our professional mountain guides recreational backcountry skiers here in Jackson, Wy.
– Build the eccentric strength and strength endurance in your legs to prepare you for the eccentric loading which occurs during downhill skiing.
– Build the lactate tolerance and recovery in your legs so you can ski harder longer, and recover quicker during stops or between runs.
– Build your core/midsection strength and overall strength to add stability during skiing and increase overall durability
– Build your glute medius strength, hamstring strength and landing mechanics to help protect your knees from injury during the ski season.
– Build your legs and lungs for skinning uphill.
You’ll train 5 days/week for 6 weeks – a total of 30x training sessions.
Weekly Training Schedule:
- Monday – Leg Blasters, Skier Hops
- Tuesday – Step ups, running, core strength and calve raises
- Wednesday – Strength Training, moderate running
- Thursday – Jump Rope, Leg Blasters, Leg-focused Work Capacity efforts, core strength
- Friday – Step ups, core strength, glute medius work
The training program includes bodyweight and traditional barbell strength training exercises as well as step ups and running for endurance.