By Rob Shaul
The Spirits Packet of training plans represents the latest evolution of our Fluid Periodization to programming for LE Athletes: Patrol & Detective.
The 4 training plans: Whiskey, Tequila, Vodka and Bourbon , deploy MTI’s most recent evolution of Fluid Periodization for full-time Patrol Officers and Detectives and concurrently train:
- High Relative Strength – Strength per bodyweight, especially total and lower body relative strength. In most tactical situations, LE athletes need to move themselves quickly and powerfully. By building high relative strength, we aim to get them strong as possible, without adding unneeded mass, while still keeping them fast, quick and powerful. As well, strength is the key to durability. Stronger athletes are harder to injure in the first place, don’t get injured as bad if something does happen, and recover faster if they do get injured.
- Upper Body Hypertrophy – LE athletes, especially patrol, can benefit from upper body mass. A stout upper body can help intimidate would-be bad guys from assault or attack.
- Work Capacity – Horsepower and aerobic power to go super hard for relatively short periods – especially pertinent in any tactical situation. Law enforcement Work Capacity programming should have a strong emphasis on sprinting ability and recovery – as this is the mostly mode of effort when things are dangerous.
- Chassis Integrity – Functional, transferable core/mis-section strength and strength endurance for mission performance and overall durability.
- TAC SEPA – Tactical Speed, Explosive Power and Agility.
- Stamina – Different from endurance, “stamina” is the ability to stay mentally and physically fit and ready for long events, or multiple short events over a long duty day.
- “Fluid Periodization” is our methodology of training these five fitness attributes concurrently with either balanced cycles, or cycles with subtle emphasis on one or two of the attributes.
Each plan is 6 weeks long and train 4-5 days/week, depending upon the training plan or cycle. Together, these plans represent 28 weeks of programming for LE Patrol & Detectives, assuming a full week of rest between plans.
Each training session is designed to last 45-50 minutes.
More on the Plans below and HERE:
We’ve also developed an LE Athlete Fitness Assessment. Read more HERE.