By Rob Shaul
The Big Cat Packet of training plans represents the latest evolution of our Fluid Periodization to programming for Urban Fire/Rescue Athletes.
The 5 training plans: Jaguar, Leopard, Lion, Tiger and Panther , deploy MTI’s most recent evolution of Fluid Periodization for full-time Urban Fire/Rescue Athletes and concurrently train:
- High Relative Strength – Strength per bodyweight, especially total and lower body relative strength. In most tactical situations, Fire/Rescue athletes need to move themselves quickly and powerfully. By building high relative strength, we aim to get them strong as possible, without adding unneeded mass, while still keeping them fast, quick and powerful. As well, strength is the key to durability. Stronger athletes are harder to injure in the first place, don’t get injured as bad if something does happen, and recover faster if they do get injured.
- Work Capacity – Horsepower and aerobic power to go super hard for relatively short periods – especially pertinent in any tactical situation. Confined, low visibility, intense situations under the load of bunker gear are the norm for Urban Fire Suppression. Work Capacity programming prepares athletes for these events.
- Chassis Integrity – Functional, transferable core/mis-section strength and strength endurance for mission performance and overall durability.
- TAC SEPA – Tactical Speed, Explosive Power and Agility.
- Stamina – Staying Power, both mental and physical, for long firefighting or rescue evolutions or multiple missions over a long duty day.
“Fluid Periodization” is our methodology of training these five fitness attributes concurrently with either balanced cycles, or cycles with subtle emphasis on one or two of the attributes.
Each plan is 6 weeks long and trains 4 days/week, Together, these plans represent 35 weeks of programming for LE Patrol & Detectives, assuming a full week of rest between plans.
Each training session is designed to last 60 minutes.
More on the Plans below and HERE:
We’ve also developed a Fire/Rescue Fitness Assessment. READ MORE HERE.